[Imports] [Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 14:26:00 UTC 2013

Hi,

I think Paul is correct. The gnis:fcode, and gnis:ftype is a mistake,
taginfo for it.

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.us/keys/gnis:fcode#overview

tag info for nhd:fcode

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.us/search?q=nhd%3Afcode

gnis:fcode -> NHD:FCode

Same for ftype

Everything besides the feature id's in the gnis prefix should be
removed. The fcode, and fypes should go back into NHD prefex.

I can't find any fcode or ftype into the GNIS schema documentation?

http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/gaz_fileformat.htm

Thanks
Jason

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> There are at least two sets of GNIS data that were imported separately. I
> know of at least the populated places (original import scripts here:
> http://beej.us/osm/cityosm/, no wiki that I know of.) and the POI type
> features (I don't know if and where the original import information is
> preserved for those). That may be the source of the confusion regarding the
> unique identifier.
>
> I support the notion of preserving lineage through a unique identifier *as
> long as that identifier is still meaningful*. (TIGER for example no longer
> maintains the same identifiers imported with the 2005 data).
>
> Also, a look at the GNIS metadata page may help resolve some of the
> discussion topics in this thread:
> http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/metadata.htm
>

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>