[Imports] GNIS tag removal proposal - Bulk vs. Editor

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 08:08:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:58 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> The GNIS tag cleanup... might that be better as a true bulk edit?

I'm working on a proposal to address the issues discussed already, as
well as some that have been long outstanding issues on the wiki.

> With the editors dropping the tag:
> * Any agent depending on the gnis tags will see their data slowly melt away
> over a period of years.
> * Since tag removal at save time is silent, a person saving a node won't see
> it the way it will be saved.
> In particular if the ele= tag conversion is done, it would be better for a
> hand mapper to see the changed tag and have a chance to supply an elevation.
>
> There's so little value in these gnis tags, and so many of them, seems like
> bulk has some merit?

Dropping tags doesn't really warrant a mass edit IMHO, but things like
fixing the feature_id tags, fixing the fcode tags, and removing the
ele tags are examples of where a bot would do the job more quickly.

Additionally, the wiki mentions that 5% of GNIS objects are historical
and do not exist on the ground.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/USGS_GNIS#Removing_historical_features

Objects which do not exist should be removed. So between all this, the
fixing of various tags, and removal of most other tags, yes, I will
write up a proposal (the code is basically there now, but I want to
revise it).

- Serge