[Imports] Data Imports

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 14:08:52 UTC 2013

Hi

Fyi, I've been corresponding a little with Upande off thread, I know them from my time in Kenya. I've had much the same questions and feedback. Glad to see we're all trying to help. Innocensia, we're simply going to need more information, in the right ways, to help you out. Perhaps some of us can join you for a Skype chat sometime soon, to talk through this.

Here's a bit of my feedback...

Can you explain more on the wiki page you created (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Enugu_State_Routing_Project) how specifically the data was collected? How it was processed into a GIS? What process you used to transform and upload into OSM?

From a quick look at your changesets myself, there is definitely an issue in the tags.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/234084390/history

You should as much as possible map the columns you are using in the GIS to OSM tags. Anything which doesn't fit OSM tags should go in its own namespace. For instance,_ROAD_NAME_ = Abakaliki Road/Nigandi Avenue

 should be "name=Abakaliki Road/Nigandi Avenue"  (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name)

The only thing you might consider bringing in within its own namespace is the objectid, but only if you think you might re-import/conflate later on. What's the long term plan for managing this Enugu data?

Cheers
Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron