[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Dec 3 02:23:08 UTC 2013

Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu> writes:

> Newer version, with counties and villages:
> http://www.uvm.edu/~aguertin/osm/vermont-towns-counties-villages2.osm
>
> This does not yet have admin_level on member ways, but that's coming
> (unless the discussion on that progresses in a different direction).
>
> I have county boundaries marked with admin_level=6, cities and towns
> with admin_level=8, and villages with admin_level=10. This goes
> against
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level, but
> since a village is (to some degree) subordinate to a town it doesn't
> make sense to me to have them at the same admin_level. I'm open to
> advice here.

In Massachusetts, every bit of land is in some city or town, and cities
and towns are basically the same thing but have slightly different forms
of government.  Villages are used formally in only a few towns (boston?
newton).  But there are many places ("West Acton" (Acton), "Gleasondale"
(Stow)) that are place names but are NOT administrative boundaries.

I think the real question is what does village mean in Vermont.  Are
there village ordinances that only apply within village limits?  Is each
village strictly contained within a city/town?   Is every bit of land
that is in a city/town within some village?