[Imports] Import of public transport platforms in Styria (Austria)

Andreas Uller a.uller at gmx.at
Tue Dec 3 10:39:13 UTC 2013

Hello,

The operator is not included in the data provided for the import, and often there will be several bus line operators stopping at the same bus stop. However, the operator tag is included in the bus route relations, so it can be deducted from that, if someone wanted an "operator" (or operators) for the bus stop.

I think the is_in is necessary for the following reason: We only have boundaries down to the level of communities ("Gemeinden") in OSM, but the bus stops are often labelled with the name of villages, sub-parts of the communities, which sometimes don't even have exact boundaries.
Here are some examples, where I think it would be impossible to derive the "complete name" (town and name of stop) without the is_in-tag:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1487738866: Although this stop is geographically still in the city of Graz, this stop is in Fölling for everything related to public transport (most important for tariffs, but also for a unique name ...).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1801654560: This stop is closer to the node called "Fölling" in OSM than the above stop, however it is in "Prellerberg" (there is not even a place in OSM with that name).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1735061993: This stop is named after the community it is in: Rettenegg, BUT:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1735061989: This is the platform for the other direction, which of course has the same name, but is geographically already beyond the border in the next community (Sankt Jakob im Walde).
One could of course state, that the bus stops should be renamed, but since that is not within our scope, I still think, the is_in-tag is required for identificaiton of the bus stops.

Andreas