[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Andrew Guertin andrew.guertin at uvm.edu
Tue Dec 3 18:34:31 UTC 2013

On 12/02/2013 09:23 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu> writes:
>> I have county boundaries marked with admin_level=6, cities and towns
>> with admin_level=8, and villages with admin_level=10. This goes
>> against
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level, but
>> since a village is (to some degree) subordinate to a town it doesn't
>> make sense to me to have them at the same admin_level. I'm open to
>> advice here.
>
> In Massachusetts, every bit of land is in some city or town, and cities
> and towns are basically the same thing but have slightly different forms
> of government.  Villages are used formally in only a few towns (boston?
> newton).  But there are many places ("West Acton" (Acton), "Gleasondale"
> (Stow)) that are place names but are NOT administrative boundaries.
>
> I think the real question is what does village mean in Vermont.  Are
> there village ordinances that only apply within village limits?  Is each
> village strictly contained within a city/town?   Is every bit of land
> that is in a city/town within some village?

Every village is strictly contained within a town, and remains part of
that town. Villages can make certain ordinances that apply within their
limits, but anything from the town still applies. Villages only exist
where they have been voted into existence, most towns do not contain any
villages.

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullchapter.cfm?Title=24&Chapter=039
has all the rules, and
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullchapter.cfm?Title=24APPENDIX&Chapter=213