[Imports] Questionable Canvec imports

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Dec 7 11:57:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 07.12.2013 11:50, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I don't want to warm up a discussion that has been put to death a long
> time ago so if this is an old matter that has been agreed on previously
> please let me know.

The Canvec import wiki page is in a very poor and confused state and the
person who set this up has left OSM in the wake of the license change.
The import has in principle been cleared by the Canadian community long
ago but every once in a while a new user comes along, reads the wiki
page and thinks: "great, I'll give it a shot", without really
understanding what they ought to be doing. The wiki page makes it sound
like you don't really need to know a lot as long as you can download
.osm files, open them in an editor, and hit "upload". I had spoken to
one of the people who did the uploads in the area you mentioned and they
were not aware that importing data means more than just uploading osm
files. I usally send them a message like:

I would like to make sure that you know that the CanVec import is *not*
about simply taking NRCAN data and dumping it into OSM. You are expected
to perform at least basic validation of the data you're importing -
ideally because you have local knowledge (cf. the, albeit slightly
outdated, Google spreadsheet linked from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec which has a column "Local
Mapper" for a reason), but failing that, at least because you look at
the data and make sure it looks right.

[...]

At the speed with which you were importing, it looked like it wasn't
humanely possible to perform any such verification.

Please understand that imports are a sensitive issue in OpenStreetMap
and need to be performed with diligence. Imports are much more than just
taking a file and uploading it. As an importer, you take (part of the)
responsibility for the data you upload.

You can continue to import CanVec data if you want but please do it
slowly and apply the required diligence. If you don't have the time or
energy to do the import carefully then it is better to wait until
someone comes along who has - because experience shows that fixing data
that has been imported by others is much less rewarding.

<<<

I encourage mappers who stumble across such careless imports to inform
the mapper in question, and if they should ignore the message, forward
the issue to DWG.

(I have already written to nuklearer_wintersturm and bdustan along the
lines of the above.)

Bye
Frederik