[Imports] import areas

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 10:58:38 UTC 2013

2013/12/11 Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:58 AM, <angelo.cleanthous at eurocyinnovations.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> My name is Angelos Cleanthous and I am sending you this
>> email on behalf of FixCyprus team. We are currently in the process of
>> migrating our services to the fixmystreet platform. We now want to add all
>> the areas of Cyprus inside global.mapit because as we see they are not
>> covered. In the docs it says we can send a request to your mailing
>> list.
>> We have the klm file but inside they are no administrative are
>> boundaries like (O08). Do we need to have
>> those?
>>
> I wish I understood your email, but I don't. Maybe I'm stupid.
>
> This list (imports at osm.org) is for discussing imports that will happen from
> some external dataset into the OpenStreetMap project.
>
> I don't know what fixmystreets is, or what a global mapit is, or how either
> of them relate to importing data into OSM.
>
> Can you explain what it is you're doing so that simple people like me can
> understand?

Mapit Global is this:
http://global.mapit.mysociety.org/
They use a subset of admin boundaries that they take from OSM, so the
question is whether Cyprus' admin boundaries are in OSM or not, and
whether they're tagged appropriately. I guess "imports" is only
relevant if the boundaries are not there yet and if Angelo has a file
of boundaries that they want to add to OSM...

Best
Dan