[Imports] IENC of the German WSV

Christian Wegerhoff Wegerhoff at mediaworx.com
Wed Dec 11 19:41:21 UTC 2013

We would like to see some sample OSM files that are ready for uploading.

There will be no files "ready for uploading" as this will be no automated import:
1. The appropriate are is downloaded from OSM into JOSM
2. The IENC nodes and polygons of potential interest are opened in JOSM (in a different layer)
3. Relevant data is manually transferred into the OSM layer
4. The edits are uploaded to OSM

The result can be seen on Main: http://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=17&lat=50.04155&lon=8.48192&layers=BFTFFFFFFFF0FFFFFFFF

The source data download link
https://www.elwis.de/RIS-Telematik/Inland-ENC-der-WSV/index.html

Change set tags documented
Change Set comments will contain the names of the original IENC file

Documentation/code on how to go from source data to OSM. This is especially important if more than one person is doing it.
It is converted from the the S-100 to OSM format by a script called s57toosm, written by Malcolm. (Special thanks to Malcolm at this point)
It is availiable at Github as s57toosm.

Upload plan. If more than one person is doing the uploading, some mechanism needs to be setup to keep everybody organized.
The work is done by one person.
I will add a status view on the wiki page.

Regards, Christian