[Imports] [HOT] CAR Activation; experienced mappers to finish the import of UNICEF data?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Dec 25 21:01:27 UTC 2013

UNICEF data?

> Hi Paul,
>
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2590517305
>
> I had a look at this and there are a number of tags which are not in the
> Proposal which was consulted on with imports at .
>
> Please hold off doing any more of these imports until these issues get
> Resolved, or the changes are consulted on.

> What are these tags? Only the three admin levels? I figured out they
> were in the data (We were three people to process the data along the
> workflow and seems we missed this) and actually not in what had been
> described in the wikipage so I added it a few days ago in the wikipage,
> thinking it was not a big deal. The key may be improved though, what do
> you think? Otherwise, I also added what had been considered by us from
> the beginning after discussion with UNICEF.

The issue is that what was done was not what was proposed.
http://www.osm.org/user_blocks/425
lists a couple of the issues. This list is not necessarily exhaustive.
There is also the issue of the fixme, as a new issue that was missed
during the consultation before.

> This issue reminds me we asked the Import WG where we should publish the
> original data so that it could be available for anyone to check during
> the validation process, but we did not get an answer.

There is not currently an Import WG. You can find a list of working groups
at http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Groups

> Is there an official repository? Ideally, it would be one run by the
> OSMF, so that we are sure the original data would be always available.

I don't think anyone has proposed adding hosting third-party geodata to
what the sysadmins manage. I'd be a bit skeptical about adding that to
their jobs, but such a discussion is wider than just this import and
wouldn't be resolved immediately.