[Imports] Proposed import: Geelong building data

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 04:00:22 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel,

FYI, the wiki page has a link to the full data set. It is ~ 125K buildings.
Probably 125 change sets.

Do you have address data too?

- The tagging seem fine. You might want to put the date the source data in
the changeset comments.

This is a lot of data. You need to break it up, something like 1000
buildings per OSM/OSC file. If know python and linux I can send you a
script.

Doing the building overlap check with the mapnik image layer is a bad idea.
You can automate with postgis, do it with QGIS, or in JOSM by downloading
the OSM data into the source OSM files, and running the JOSM validator.

If the source data is very good and you do the overlap check ahead of time
(postgis, or QGIS), you can have a set of buildings that don't overlap that
can be uploaded with less checking and a set that do overlap that will need
to be conflated individually. The building that are known to overlap with
OSM you might end up keeping all of the OSM data, but add in the height and
name tags. This only makes sense if the source data is really good.
Otherwise, you may need to pick through everything by hand.

You will want the JOSM validator to be clean on your OSM/OSC files. For
example.
 - Negative building heights.
 - The source data has duplicates with itself.
 - The multipologon's have building=yes on ways and relation. IT should be
either on the outer way or the relation, but not on the inner ways.
 - some round features are a bit overnoded.
 - duplicate nodes.

Please break the data up, clean up the validation errors, update the wiki
on how you plan on managing ~125 changesets, and post new files for review.

Thanks
Jason