[Imports] Example of defective import

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jan 1 14:07:40 GMT 2013

Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> writes:

> It seems that JOSM was used for uploading this, and today's JOSM
> validator would have spotted the problem (it reports 9 duplicated
> ways, 122 ways with same position, 287 self-intersecting ways and many
> more), but it is possible that back in 2011 when this was made, the
> validator was less advanced or more easily overlooked.

Is there an easy way to run the validator in batch mode, so that one
could do something like

  josm foo.osm --batch-validate

and get a foo.validation.txt file that has a report of troubles?

> When thinking about improved import guidelines, maybe we should not
> only request that people publish what they want to import, we should
> also ask for one or two mappers with a certain track record to
> "second" the import, something like "I have examined the proposed data
> and I think it is fit for uploading, signed, John Doe". If there is an
> imports group like the one that Serge is setting up in the US, that
> group would routinely "sign off" an import like that, but anyone else
> who knows what they're soing could do so too.

That makes sense to me, but I'd add (probably you intended this) that
From a community-building viewpoint, people who do that kind of review
should either say "it's ok" or send a message to imports@ with an
explanation of how it's not ok.  This is really just applying normal the
code review process to data, with the intent of getting it to the
acceptable state.