[Imports] Charging Stations in Italy

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 12:22:52 UTC 2013

2013/7/10 David Riccitelli <david at insideout.io>:
Jason Remillard: >> - what happens if a mapper, merges the node onto a building

IMHO this is a mapping error. How would you be able afterwards to
distinguish the building from the charging station and tell to which
object the tags apply? E.g. tag name, tag start_date, tag wikipedia,
tag operator, ... There should be distinct objects (not necessarily
geometry) in OSM for the building and the charging station.
Nonetheless I agree that this is something that will potentially occur
and should be dealt with.

> The import procedure will use the charging_station node id for operations.
> Will the charging_station node id change following a merge operation?

it will look like a simple delete of the node, as long as the mapper
doesn't take care to preserve the node id (e.g. by merging it with one
of the building nodes, in which case it will look as if the tags have
been removed and the position changed).

>> - what happens if a mapper adds more tags to the imported nodes
> Tags would be overwritten. Is this okey?

definitely not okay, never automatically remove stuff that was entered
by judgement of a human mapper.

>> - what happens if a station is deleted from the source data
> Stations deleted from the source data, or marked as inactive (e.g.
> maintenance), will be removed from OSM.

not sure if stations marked as inactive should be completely removed,
maybe better set them in OSM to maintenance as well (in a way they
won't get interpreted as charging stations by simple software, e.g.
with a prefix on the amenity-key).

cheers,
Martin