[Imports] Norwegian place name registry (SSR)

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Jul 12 07:40:16 UTC 2013

[A short reply because of time issues]

This is a huge issue. If the data in the government database and the
on-the-ground data differs, we should be tagging the on-the-ground data
in name and name:*, with the official name in official_name.

> Tagging Plans:
> name=[main accepted and recommended name in SSR]
> alt_name=[second accepted and recommended name in SSR]
> source:name=Sentralt stadnamnregister, Kartverket

If the name is modified, the source:name tag will become outdated and will
not generally be updated or deleted. Experience with other imports shows
that most mappers won't modify tags like source:name.

> no-kartverket-ssr:url=http://url-to-factsheet
> no-kartverket-ssr:objid=12345
> no-kartverket-ssr:date=2012-06-08

These tags should not be necessary

You mention a multitude of official languages and dialects, but you don't
discuss the use of name:* tags. How are you planning to use them for
multiple languages?

Thanks,

Paul