[Imports] Norwegian place name registry (SSR)

Thomas Hirsch Thomas.Hirsch at kartverket.no
Fri Jul 12 08:24:39 UTC 2013

> This is a huge issue. If the data in the government database and the on-the-ground data differs,
> we should be tagging the on-the-ground data in name and name:*, with the official name in official_name.

That's a well known-issue, see for example http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/No:Map_Features#Spelling_of_street_names

Spelling issues have a particular dimension in Norway, as dialects are encouraged. In a similar vein to street names above, a lake may take any of the suffixes -tjern, tjernet, tjønn, tjenn, tjønna, tjenna and possibly more, according to the mood and dialect of the sign maker, -et and -a being the definite article. These are *not* normalized in the place name register, but the most common spelling is chosen as official name by the local community (kommune).

Since the initial import is manual, differences in the names beyond spelling could be handled separately.

It is a perfectly valid option to double- or triple-tag (name, official_name, name:lg), but that also adds inert mass to the database. The consensus is with Pieren here that the local people are the local communities that fix the official names.

> Tagging Plans:
> name=[main accepted and recommended name in SSR] alt_name=[second
> accepted and recommended name in SSR] source:name=Sentralt
> stadnamnregister, Kartverket

If the name is modified, the source:name tag will become outdated and will not generally be updated or deleted. Experience with other imports shows that most mappers won't modify tags like source:name.

>> no-kartverket-ssr:url=http://url-to-factsheet
>> no-kartverket-ssr:objid=12345
>> no-kartverket-ssr:date=2012-06-08
> These tags should not be necessary

The url provides source information to the name in a way that a mere attribution cannot. It is also in the spirit of LOD/linked geodata.
The id tag will allow us to discern the places that are identified from others that just use similar names (e.g. the museum from the bus stop in front). Subsequent updates rely on this information.

I am not certain about the date tag.

> You mention a multitude of official languages and dialects, but you don't discuss the use of name:* tags.
> How are you planning to use them for multiple languages?

It is an option to double-tag with the language codes (no, fi, se, sma, smj). It is particular that the database does not differentiate between Norwegian bokmål and Norwegian nynorsk (nb, nn) which are commonly encouraged, as only one of these should be used at a time.