[Imports] Impact Of Imports On User Engagement : Sophie Kate Salway

Sophie Kate Salway sophiekatesalway at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 09:53:33 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I am currently writing a research project, at the University College London, which focuses on the 'Impact of Imports On OSM User Engagement'. The project is focused on the impact of the 2007 AND import in the Netherlands, but it shall also address the wider impact of imports in Europe and even worldwide. The reason for me emailing the imports mailing list is because I want to include the perspective of the user in my research - what do the people on the ground think about importing data into OSM?

So far I have read through the threads of this mailing list and have found the April 2011 archive particularly interesting - "how good can an import be?". I'd really like it if I could get feedback on a series of similar questions as I'd really value your opinion and thoughts. Any feedback is appreciated! Simple yes or no answers or bullet points would be absolutely perfect - if it is at all possible!

Research Questions;

Are you for or against data imports?
What are the benefits and/or negatives of introducing imports into the OSM database?
Do you think data imports engage the OSM user? If so, why?
Do you think data imports affect the overall quality of OSM?
With the introduction of the Amsterdam 2007 AND import and the TIGER import in the USA - is it more beneficial to import road networks?
Do you think that OSM data imports change the role of the user? For example, do imports require the user to edit and correct data rather than collect their own new information to upload.

If you have any other thoughts that you wish to discuss please contact me on my email address: sophiekatesalway at hotmail.co.uk. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time!

Sophie