[Imports] Norwegian place name registry (SSR)

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Fri Jul 12 15:00:42 UTC 2013

This all sounds very good in general. I'm especially happy to hear/see that
officials of an official/national geo-information entity are directly
involved in an import.

Also, the inclusion of various different versions of names sounds great to
me. Three years in Haiti -- where numerous (often non-official but strongly
existing) versions of names have made this multi-name possibility a top
"pitch point" of OSM for me.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Thomas Hirsch
<Thomas.Hirsch at kartverket.no>wrote:

>    > in OSM we usually also try to capture alternative spellings
> (alt_name, loc_name etc) and values in different languages and dialects
> (with name:lang-code-tags)****
>
> ** **
>
> The proposal includes a plan for alt_name tags. Unfortunately, only one of
> those is supported, while several may be listed just in the data set.****
>
> We are very open for constructive suggestions, what I presented is just
> the (my) summary of the ongoing discussion.

I haven't digged into this very much but I've noticed in practice that
alt_name:*=* namespace is also supported in standard Nominatim search

Example: Searching Nominatim with Okap, Haiti returns:
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=1071449

where Okap is at alt_name:ht=.

I haven't tried this with different alt_name languages -- and I don't think
this is a documented tag. But it's great that it works as this practical
case shows that there's a need for it.

I wish you patience in ironing out the details and implementing the import.

Cheers,
-Jaakko
http://osm.org/user/jaakkoh

--