[Imports] [Imports-us] Palo Alto, CA Building Outlines import

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 14:54:39 UTC 2013

Hi John,

I cc'ed the normal import list too.

- The shapes need to be simplified. I used 1.5 meters.
- There are around 1000 duplicate buildings in the data set (from validation)
- There are some self intersecting way (from validation)
- Roofs on top of building are getting marked as buildings (buildings
inside of buildings). Is there some kind of level/layer attribute in
the source data. It looks like you have both roof and footprint
shapes.
- The source_id tag is funky. Do you really need it? If yes, how about
paloalto:id? In general, most of the time I don't think these ids are
useful.
- Normal comment about source tag on objects vs change set.
- The source tag should not be the url to the download, but rather the
name and date of the data set use by the city. Perhaps use source:url
for the download link. The google drive url might not be stable over a
long period of time.

Lastly, if you want to automate this, we could hack up the code for
the MA building import. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
Jason