[Imports] [Imports-us] Palo Alto, CA Building Outlines import

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 23:21:46 UTC 2013

Hello

Some general thoughts on building imports, since these two issues seem
to keep coming up.

For buildings, the long term maintenance plan is the same. Plan A, is
that in N years time, the area has enough mappers that the data is
being maintained like any other osm data. If Plan A, does not work out
because the area does not have enough mappers, the 2nd import is
pretty straight forward. You pull the original source data out, find
buildings that have been removed from OSM. Then in the new data
source, find buildings that are missing from OSM but have not been
removed from the first data set. That way, if somebody removes a
building in OSM, it does not get put back in on the second import. It
is always the same answer for building imports, so I think we can stop
asking importers about this.

We did a big building only import in MA this Spring. The addresses
were not available, and 1/3 of the states buildings were already
imported in 2010. At least for me, having the building has motivated
me to collect POI's and addresses that I was not previously doing.
Since the import, the JOSM validator has been pointing out places
where the roads and buildings overlap. So far, 98% of the time, the
imported road has been wrong per the Bing imagies. The buildings are
also improving the road data.

Also, at of this present moment in time, it is actually easier/better
to import the buildings first because that is the only thing that
Paul's address merge code supports. We should stop assuming that
everybody is going to be writing this code from scratch, and asking
for combined address/building imports. Honestly, I don't see why
anybody doing an address import going forward would not be looking
very closely at Paul's address merge code. If we end up teaching
address merge how to also do building imports, we can change our tune,
but right now, it is easier to put the buildings in first because
that's what address merge wants.

Thanks
Jason,