[Imports] Tasmanian Parks

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 23:28:50 UTC 2013

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting to the list.

- "Forest Reserve" does not seem to be an established value for protection_title
- Don't include DPIPWE:RES_STATUS, DPIPWE:MANAGE, DPIPWE:ACT,
DPIPWE:IUCN, DPIPWE:ENVIRON,
- Definitely don't include DPIPWE:AREA_HA.

Its not OSM policy, but I suggest that as a rule of thumb, that we
should not be introducing data into OSM via an import that does not
already have an established tagging system. If needed, the prefixed
data, can be correlated back to the original source file by the name
feature. Just because it is in the shape file does not mean we want it
in OSM.

- end_date=*, is not needed unless you have an actual end date.
- Make sure start_data,source:date is really ISO formatted in source data.
- Put your static tags on the change set.

- I don't see any tags that actually identify the features being imported?

Most importantly, you have a RES_CLASS table. Each one of those should
be mapping to tags. For example,

Conservation Area -> landuse=conservation (even through this tag is deprecated
National Park -> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_park
etc, etc,

- You might need an area tag on some of these features?

- Do we have any of these features already in OSM? If so, you need to
deal with them, and not just import over them.

- You should make a sample OSM file available to the list. There are
all kind of issues that might pop up during the actual translation.

- Have you used http://neis-one.org/2013/01/oooc/, to contact the
local mappers, and get them involved?

- The OSM file might be over the 50,000 element limit. You may need to
break this up into smaller chunks.

Don't be discouraged, imports are always a lot of work!

Thanks
Jason.