[Imports] Tasmanian Parks
remillard.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 23:28:50 UTC 2013
Thanks for posting to the list.
- "Forest Reserve" does not seem to be an established value for protection_title
- Don't include DPIPWE:RES_STATUS, DPIPWE:MANAGE, DPIPWE:ACT,
- Definitely don't include DPIPWE:AREA_HA.
Its not OSM policy, but I suggest that as a rule of thumb, that we
should not be introducing data into OSM via an import that does not
already have an established tagging system. If needed, the prefixed
data, can be correlated back to the original source file by the name
feature. Just because it is in the shape file does not mean we want it
- end_date=*, is not needed unless you have an actual end date.
- Make sure start_data,source:date is really ISO formatted in source data.
- Put your static tags on the change set.
- I don't see any tags that actually identify the features being imported?
Most importantly, you have a RES_CLASS table. Each one of those should
be mapping to tags. For example,
Conservation Area -> landuse=conservation (even through this tag is deprecated
National Park -> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_park
- You might need an area tag on some of these features?
- Do we have any of these features already in OSM? If so, you need to
deal with them, and not just import over them.
- You should make a sample OSM file available to the list. There are
all kind of issues that might pop up during the actual translation.
- Have you used http://neis-one.org/2013/01/oooc/, to contact the
local mappers, and get them involved?
- The OSM file might be over the 50,000 element limit. You may need to
break this up into smaller chunks.
Don't be discouraged, imports are always a lot of work!
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:05 PM, IanB <porjo38 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I wanted to give people a heads up about what I'm currently doing
> and planning to do with a dataset containing national parks and
> conservation areas within Tasmania, Australia.
> I've setup a Wiki page with more info here:
> I'd appreciate feedback from anyone on the list, particularly regarding
> the mapping of tags from the original source to OSM (I've documented a
> proposed mapping on the wiki page).
> I do apologise for not jumping on the mailing list *before* I started
> uploading data. Hopefully this hasn't caused anyone a problem. I will
> refrain from any further uploads until I've given people a chance to
> A complete dump of all data I've uploaded so far can be gotten using
> XAPI by searching for source="Tasmanian Reserve Estate Spatial Layer 2012"
> Imports mailing list
> Imports at openstreetmap.org
More information about the Imports