[Imports] GPX imports from Uber

Jed Horne jed at uber.com
Thu Jun 20 21:07:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

my name is Jed Horne and I am a data scientist with Uber (http://uber.com).
 My company makes an iPhone app that allows users to make on-demand
requests for taxis, luxury sedans, and other vehicles.  We currently
operate in 25+ cities in the United States, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

We have GPS traces going back about three years from our drivers, and I am
interested in contributing back to the OSM community.  I was planning on
writing a script to anonymize and clean up our traces and export as GPX
files (per instructions here
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Recording_GPS_tracks).  However, I am
very new to OSM contributing and was wondering if there is a set of best
practices (how much is too much data, how to snip trips for privacy, etc.)
or if there is someone I could work with directly to ensure that the data I
give you is both private (for us and our clients/drivers) and useful (to
the community).

Specifically, I'm interested in using these traces to identify where we
might be missing small connector roads or other features that could improve
the accuracy of routing built on OSRM.  Another potential application would
be to help identify areas of bad traffic or help improve speed profile
information - I realize this isn't something currently supported by OSM but
to the extent our data are useful for new or experimental features or data
sets I'd like to know how to help out.

If anyone has direct experience in this area I'm open to thoughts and
suggestions.  Also, if anyone knows people who I should contact it would be
awesome if you could make an introduction.  We have a very large volume of
data that I hope can significantly improve the quality of OSM.

Best,

Jed Horne
Uber Technologies