[Imports] [Talk-es] [Cat2Osm2] Tool for exporting Spanish Cadastre data in OSM suitable format

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Mar 2 10:16:51 UTC 2013

No one grants or denies permission. The relevant requirement is to consult with the local community and imports at . As a general rule, imports@ tends to take longer than the local community because it has a wider audience of people who are aware of the problems with imports. I would generally suggest doing both consultations early and in parallel. To do otherwise at best results in delays and at worst results in wasted time as you make changes that would have been easier to make sooner.

There is no set time for consultation. For an "average" import I'd think a couple of weeks. The import you're proposing is *very* complex. It's covering a large area with a dataset that varies from region to region, covering a lot of different tags, using custom-written software, has source files that are effectively complex (because we can't review them), is likely against a changing dataset, and has several controversial elements. There's not much you could do to add complexity. Complex isn't necessarily bad, but it does mean that everything will take longer.

Generally the problems with consultation are people omitting it completely. Another problem is people approaching the consultation as a "done deal" where everything has already been decided. I guess in a case of allegedly inadequate consultation where the importer felt that there was adequate consultation the DWG would consider it. I don't think we[1] have had a case like that, and I can't really say what a group decision would be in a hypothetical case that we haven't considered.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this import because there is useful data in there, it's just an issue of working out all the bugs.

[1] Not that I'm speaking as a DWG member in this message.