[Imports] Antarctica coastline/shelf-ice import

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Mar 6 14:47:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 06:09:03PM -0800, Paul Norman wrote:
> How are you going to handle the coastline at the 180 degree boundary?

The current situation is this: There is a "bogus" way tagged natural=coastline
that closes the coastline. This way goes to about 85° South, so it only works
for Mercator projection. If you use a different projection you will see a
more or less circular ocean in the middle of Antarctica.

I propose we leave the coastline open and solve this special case in the
software. I have already changed the OSMCoastline program to handle this
special case, it is not a big deal. The code closes the coastline into a
polygon "in the right way" depending on the projection the user wants.

Because of the different projections we have to have special code for this
case anyway, so I think it would be cleaner to leave the coastline open
instead of having the bogus way in there.

Jochen