[Imports] [OSM-dev] Coastline changes Antarctica

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Mar 12 08:25:24 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:53:16AM -0700, Paul Norman wrote:
> [...]

I see you put him on Cc. So, Jon, please speak up if there are any issues.

One thing I forgot to mention in my blog post: OSMCoastline doesn't simplify
the coastline. In the long run Christophs tool does a better job, in the
short run you can either keep using whatever creates the shoreline 300 file,
or just don't do it. I don't really see the need for the simplification
from a performance perspective. (Low-zoom tiles are not rendered that often and
there are so few of them that it doesn't matter if it takes a little bit
longer.) And for a better looking coastline in low zoom levels you need
to do more than just line simplification.

Jochen