[Imports] Coastline changes Antarctica

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Mar 12 09:12:51 UTC 2013

On 12/03/13 09:07, Jochen Topf wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:41:36AM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> Andy and I were talking about this last week and were of the opinion
>> that we should switch to using your data, and to using sea polygons
>> with land as the default background rather than the current system,
>> and I think Andy would happily take a patch against
>> openstreetmap-carto which did that.
>
> I am not sure it is a good idea to switch to water polygons. Those polygons
> are much more complicated because they contain lots of holes, so they are
> slower to render. I'd only do that if really necessary (for instance when
> you want to mask something below the water polygon.

Interesting - that change was Andy's idea and I think the thought was to
reduce the damage done by any breakage and to ensure that we're not
matching any massive polygons in the busy (land) areas.

> Is the carto style live now?

No, but I have been actively working on writing chef recipes to manage a
new tile server, and they are based on it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/