[Imports] Polish Forests - Imports

Grzegorz Sapijaszko grzegorz at sapijaszko.net
Sat Nov 2 09:37:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-30 23:32, Paul Norman wrote:

> After being pointed to changeset 17263910 I think this question
> needs re-examination, now that we've seen the data.
[...]
> - There is a section which is split into many small polygons, when
> the entire area is forest.

Yes, it corresponds to ownership of the forest(s). And it was agreed on
the forum, that in such cases the missing parts of private forests will
be added manually.

> - There is an a regular grid pattern which doesn't seem to correspond
> to anything on the ground.

As Marcin already mentioned, the grid pattern correspond to cutting
lines, dividing the forest into smaller areas, which are signed with
stone marks. Very often the cutting lines are also tracks/paths at the
same time.

The imported data, consisting of smaller polygons, helps to identify
missing ways/rivers. Thus allows to add or improve the geometry of the
ways or streams/rivers, what is almost impossible based only on the sat.
images of the forestry terrains.

> There's also a couple of documentation deficiencies
>
> Firstly, could one of the importers fill out
> http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:adr_les to document that key. Why does
> it have "   -    -" in it?
>
> Secondly, the import needs adding to
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue