[Imports] edit import guideline wiki page

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Nov 6 17:00:22 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 06 November 2013, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> IMHO imports should only be done by longterm / experienced mappers,
> because otherwise you get what we already have gotten from many
> imports ;-)

But even if that was the intent making the instructions difficult to
understand is not a reliable way to discurage inexperienced people due
to Dunning-Kruger effect.

And despite bad imports happening i think there are many scenarios in
which a complete newcomer could successfully do a valuable import
(admittingly not every newcomer and not every kind of import of
course) - with sufficient willingness to learn and sufficiently clear
instructions for him/her to actually see what needs to be learned.

Without understandable instructions imports are essentially a
hen-and-egg problem - you need experience to do an import and you can
only acquire this experience by doing imports...

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/