[Imports] edit import guideline wiki page

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Nov 7 01:16:26 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> Actually it didn't look to me as if you had substantial changes proposed. A
> "should" has IMHO the same implications in this context than a "must", and
> whether this is called "policy" or "guidelines" doesn't seem to change
> anything either, that's why I didn't reply on your first mail.

I agree with Jason.  Perhaps this is a nuance of English words.

"Guideline" is a suggestion, and you aren't wrong if you choose not to
follow it.   If DWG is going to revert for not following a guideline,
then it's policy.

And should is a strong suggestion, much like guideline, while must
specifies policy.

So the key question for each guideline/policy is: is it ok for people
not to follow it (if they think there's some reason why not following it
is ok)?  For things like document the import, mail to imports@, my sense
is that no, it's not ok.