[Imports] edit import guideline wiki page

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 03:35:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Daniel O'Connor
<daniel.oconnor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I push a different approach, for the longer term?

You can discuss it.

> I understand the problem we are trying to solve is preventing harmful
> imports, so the map data is of high quality.

That's *one* of the goals, but not the only one.

> A second observation: when you have an open project, but try to control it
> with a single point, you introduce a friction to everything. Suddenly, it
> takes weeks as you go into a queue for your change to be noticed; and on the
> other side of the fence a kind of wearyness can set in: oh, not other one of
> these low quality things to deal with.

> IMO; it's better to give people the best tools to promote quality rather
> than add more manual checks and balances.
>
> We have great validation tools built into JOSM, and things like
> keepright/osm inspector, etc; but those catch problems after the fact right
> now.

What are you suggesting?

> Third: We have a limited pool of resources. I think it's fair to say
> everyone on this list is here to help and uplift a user to the point they
> can import and know it's worthwhile, high quality, and overall positive.
> It might be worth while introducing a prioritisation system.
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pulls is a good example
> of the community, supported by a set of simple tools, that can review,
> discuss and express either interest in a particular rendering change; or
> make a polite case for why it shouldn't occur.
>
> The basic criteria for an import queue management tool would be:
> - There is a structured way to explain your changes, similar to the wiki
> page template
> - It's easy to have external people visibility vote or comment; and
> understand the context of who they are.
> - There's a clear go/no go decision point enabled by the tool. IE: You must
> have at least N upvotes from this list / the DWG.
> - The highest voted things go first, because they are the highest quality.
>
> Surprisingly; our help system achieves a lot of this very well.

We've discussed a software system to help organize imports. Are you
proposing to build it?

> I've done rudimentary mockups of a toolset that could achieve much of this:
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VF-xtf_Iy-MrpegF5RPbnka6UeVD8RY43ezto8wbjwk/edit?usp=sharing
>
> ... which is very similar to the wiki process; but makes the "are you
> approved to do this by the community" much more clear.

In many cases, voting isn't the right solution, but again, if you want
to put work towards development of such a tool, it would be useful.

- Serge