[Imports] edit import guideline wiki page

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 7 17:52:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 07.11.2013 02:31, Jason Remillard wrote:
> I just made the changes.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
> Let me know what you think...

The page now opens with

"If you think your city/county/state/country government, a non-profit,
or some other organization or person has great data that could be used
to improve the quality of OpenStreetMap, you've come to the right place!"

I certainly feel that, as an *opening* sentence, this is too welcoming.
It almost sounds as if we are soliciting imports which we certainly
aren't. This part of your edit certainly doesn't have my agreement.

Neither does the fact that you have, also silently as far as I can see,
dropped the paragraph

"OpenStreetMap is all about building a great map by attracting a large
community of mappers. While data imports can help with improving
coverage rapidly,
[http://www.asklater.com/matt/wordpress/2009/09/imports-and-the-community/
simulations] suggest that imported data can cause problems with the
growth of a community. It's actually far more important to go out and
run lots of [[mapping parties]], get lots of publicity out there, and
get local people on the ground."

I don't agree with that either and I am planning to revert these two
aspects of your edit.

Bye
Frederik