[Imports] INSPIRE / Was: SV: Sardinia Imports

Jaak Laineste (Nutiteq) jaak at nutiteq.com
Fri Nov 22 06:38:57 UTC 2013

On 21.11.2013, at 19:55, Thomas Hirsch <Thomas.Hirsch at kartverket.no> wrote:

> > The whole idea of INSPIRE is to provide unified direct open API to original geodata sources, and avoid one-time dumps of data from database A to B, where it would be immediately outdated.
>
> /Any/ authoritative data source provides “fresh data” that is immediately outdated. What does that mean for OSM imports?

It means that the import of such data may harm OSM community (OSM is community for me, not the data),  due to several reasons:

1. Data will be outdated in OSM. Exception: the dataset is small enough that OSM community will take over maintenance of it. Do we have any sample of best way to handle this, i.e. where the original data maintainer has started to take care of OSM data copy? I don't know any.

2. People who use copy of the data in OSM will be frustrated, that why OSM has outdated info. This will give bad impression about all other good quality data.

3. OSM maintainers, especially beginners will be demotivated to contribute the map, as the map seems to be "already there". But the community is what OSM needs first of all, and data can  come later.

My suggestion is to carefully consider any imports, especially bigger ones (big is more than 1 object at a time). Technically best would be to merge the data not in database, but in user application (e.g. renderer) level, picking some data from OSM, and latest live data from INSPIRE. If you really must have the data in OSM also (e.g. no local surveyors in sight), then add them manually, one-by-one, making sure that you do not overload your community with the need to maintain complex multi-polygons relations covering huge area.

Jaak