[Imports] Belgium address import

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 11:38:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

This summer here in Belgium a lot of addressing data was released as open
data. A lot of local mappers are very eager to do something with this data
and OSM. We have worked the past couple of months discussing, writing tools
and documentation to prevent this new data from being used without thinking
this through.

The idea was that the data is open and will be used by mappers, we might as
well write some import guidelines for this and establish a good way of
handling this.

We have followed the Import/Guidelines and we have:

- Community consensus about this as much as possible. We have been talking
about this for months, everybody knows and almost everybody commented.
- Added the data to the import catalogue:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue#Community_Imports
- Cite the source as a contributor:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#AGIV
- And last but not least an import-plan:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/AGIV_CRAB_Import

Now obviously it's time to email the import list and ask for
comments/feedback.

- We will split the data into small chunks (per street/postal code/commune).
- We will use a tool (created by Frédéric Rodrigo) to keep track of the
import and to serve the data:
http://addr.openstreetmap.fr/vlaanderen/
- JOSM will be used to conflate the data with OSM data: We will be putting
the address tags on buildings same as if the addresses had been surveyed
and the conflation is done by individual mappers.

A few TODOS:
- Now the data served in the tool has an associatedStreet relation: this
needs to be removed.
- Fix some small bugs in the conversion script.
- The example cited on the import-plan contains addresses without a
position, that's one of the bugs that needs fixing.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Best regards,

Ben Abelshausen