[Imports] Belgium address import

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 12:53:30 UTC 2013

After thinking about this import- I think that it's overall a bad idea
because the addresses are not tied to physical structures.

It would be better, IMHO, until the areas have building coverage, to
use this as an external resource.

Nonetheless I will reply to this address expansion because I have some
experience with address expansion.

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 08:12:17AM +0100, Jo wrote:

> Looking at the CRAB data, most of the abbriviated streets look
> like "A. Coolsstraat".  Where the "A. Cools" is the name of a
> person.

But do you know that in this case, the name of the street is his name.
I don't know what the A in A. Coolsstraat stands for, so let's say it
stands for the equivalent of "Avenue". Then it would be Avenue
Coolsstraat. And we don't know if A. Cools is simply Avenue Cools, or
Alfons Cools.

In the US, when you name a road after someone, you indicate that it's
a road. eg "Malcolm X Boulevard", rather than simply "Malcom X", but
perhaps in Belgium it's different.

Obviously I can't answer this in the definitive, but I want to bring
it up as a possibility.

> It's currently also
> abbreviated in osm and and tools like osmose don't even seem to
> give a warning about that.

Does Josm? If not- it sounds like it's something to code into their validator.

- Serge