[Imports] Best practices for address imports

Martin Raifer tyr.asd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 17:51:01 UTC 2013

Randal Hale <rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
> I ask because I will (hopefully) be faced with a comparable problem in
> 2014

I'm also involved in a similar address import which is still in an early
phase. And I see more similar projects upcoming (e.g. Italian housenumbers
by ISTAT: [1]).

I think that now would be a good time to discuss some good practices for
address imports in general, wouldn't?

Here are some concrete questions we are currently facing:

* If you had an address dataset that positions the addresses at or near to
the respective building entrances: Wouldn't it make sense to not conflate
the address data with building outlines? (Because by conflating the
usefulness of the data would actually be reduced.)
* What are the pro/cons of a manual community import versus an automated
import versus some hybrid form?
* What are good tools to help with such an import?
* What are good ways to manage quality assurance after the import?
* Is there a practicable way to keep the imported data in sync with the
source data?
* Can one produce a feedback loop for data providers?

It would also be good to hear from people who have already done such
imports to learn from their experiences.

Eventually we could summarize this into a "best practice" wiki page for
address imports.

Best wishes,
Martin

[1] https://twitter.com/istat_it/status/372282743918305280