[Imports] presenting the case for open data to local government?

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:22:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

In addition to the angles that Serge mentions, I'd imagine that some
people would be most interested in an economic angle, showing that
open data improves the local economy.

This UK report estimates that the OS OpenData initiative will deliver
a net £13.0 million - £28.5 million increase in GDP in 2016. The main
components of this increase are net productivity gains (£8.1 million –
£18.2 million) and additional real tax revenues (£4.4 million – £8.3
million):
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ordnance-survey-open-data-economic-value-study

This Danish report "documents that the free-of-charge agreement, as
anticipated, has been an important condition for realising
considerable social benefits of reusing public data on addresses":
http://www.adresse-info.dk/Portals/2/Benefit/Value_Assessment_Danish_Address_Data_UK_2010-07-07b.pdf

The UK Open Data Institute has more info and links in this guide: "How
to make a business case for open data":
http://theodi.org/guide/how-make-business-case-open-data

This presentation is about open-source not open-data, but shows that
openness can reduce costs over the lifetime of a service (stats quoted
include 10% saving in public sector, 44% in finance sector):
http://www.slideshare.net/cdaffara/economic-value-of-open-source-14861646

Best
Dan