[Imports] Zaatari Imports

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 01:17:42 UTC 2013

Hi Mikel,

Normally, I would ask for 3 weeks of discussion for your
imports/automated edit, look at the code, and would certainly complain
about those tags.

The primary identity of any given object used for automated updates is
by definition a bit fuzzy, nothing can change that.. If many people
were editing this data by hand, it is an absolute certainty that those
unosat tags would be deleted, copied, and otherwise mangled by normal
manual mapping activities. Ultimately the most robust conflation logic
for OSM uses the location, shape, and native OSM tags of the features
to form an identity. Given that we still don't have good tools for
updating OSM against external data, your work is time sensitive, and
providing critical services that are probably not available outside of
OSM, you should just do what you think is best on the external id
tags.

Jason.