[Imports] NYC building + address import - to merge or not to merge?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 13:37:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> explicit - if the address applies to the polygon, it should be on the
> polygon; if we know where the entrance is, it should be tagged as a
> building entrance.

It's also harder to represent both on a map, excepted if you can go to
high zoom levels. When we place the housenumber on one side of the
building, everyone is intuitively understanding that this side is
where the main entrance (or mailbox) is. This is like in real world
where the house number plate is rarely on the backyard or in the
middle of the kitchen... Also the address tags on polygon works only
for the simple "1 address for 1 building polygon" case. All other
cases require anyway an alternative. The view of the problem is
different when you map addresses in residential areas in
towns/villages with single houses or densified urban cities where
multiple addresses is common.

Pieren