[Imports] Source tag (was: Re: NYC building + address import - to merge or not to merge?)

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Oct 15 15:37:17 UTC 2013

On 10/15/13 11:28 AM, Pieren wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I don't find source tags useful in a database that routinely sources
>>> information for a single entity from multiple sources. I. e. what's the
>>> source tag for a building that I import from NYC, but then move to better
>>> align with imagery?
> I still find interresting to know if a building footprint is coming
> from Bing approximation or if it's imported from the city GIS
> department. But now, we have no mean to know from where it comes (once
> uploaded).

the history should show you the user id which created the object, and
the account names attached to it should provide the clue. at least, that's
my understanding of Alex's comment.

changeset source tags might be nice. source tags on ways and relations
can be problematic. as i fix boundaries in upstate NY, i'm finding a need
to take care to delete old source tags that are no longer correct, as the
old boundary imports put a lot of redundant tags on relations and ways
and it's easy to miss things that should be deleted. so i guess it comes
down to "source tags are nice, but incorrect source tags are annoying."

richard