[Imports] [NUUG kart] kartverket imports to OpenStreetMap

Tyrfing OSM tyrfingosm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 16:13:46 UTC 2013

It has been brought to my attention that my reply to Ramm on this subject
did not reach the import list. So I'll give it one final attempt (this time
as a member of the import list), and I hope the distinguished readers of
the Norwegian list will excuse the double posting:

I have recently used N50 from Kartverket as one of my sources for manually
editing the map, and I was one of the people Norman asked to explain (OSM
user name Tyrfing).
I'm not using the data set as source for an automatic/scripted import, but
as a source from which I manually extract data. I'm selective on which
objects to extract, and I have the local knowledge needed to verify the
data.

N50 (also known as M711) from Kartverket (The Norwegian Mapping Authority)
is the official Norwegian 1:50000 topographic maps (or at least the data
from those maps). Most of the information is quite accurate. The data sets
are available under the CC BY 3.0 NO license.

The area where I have been using N50 as source is my main mapping area
(where I also do edits based on Bing, gps, survey and local knowledge). The
area is a mountain area in the south western part of Norway, which I know
well.

I have mainly been editing lakes, wetland and streams based on N50 as a
source. Most of these objects are not mapped in OSM for that area before.
Those that exist are mostly based on low res Landsat or Bing images (lately
the Bing coverage has improved a lot).
So most of the objects I have added are new. Some existing objects have
been updated (keeping history, changing geometry and maybe tags), but then
only if my new object is an improvement (this is exactly the same way as I
would update objects using e.g. Bing as a source).

My workflow has been (not necessarily in exact order):
1. Select a limited area.
2. Download OSM data and gps traces.
3. Manually selecting the objects from the N50 source which I want to
edit/work with in that session, and merge them onto a new layer.
4. Manually check/verify/tag each object. This includes:
4 a. Manually checking against existing OSM/gps data. Deciding if I will
keep the existing geometry or update them (either complete or partial).
4 b. Manually fix the direction of each stream based on local knowledge.
4 c. Tag objects using the regular tagging scheme, just as I would if I
used e.g. Bing or gps as source.
5. When I'm happy then I manually merge each object into the main layer.
This includes:
5 a. Connecting ways with existing data.
5 b. Creating multipolygons if needed.
6. Based on local knowledge I might then choose to add a some extra objects
from the N50 source. That might include some prominent peaks or major paths
(and paths only if they do not exist in OSM before, the OSM paths in this
area are more accurate than on the official Norwegian maps).
7. Adding additional info/tags based on my local knowledge (like names,
operator information or features like cairns, sac_scale, trail_visibility
etc).
The last two steps I might reapeat over several changesets (after browsing
the map). Then the next time I would choose an adjacent area, thus
detailing the map in "my" area organically.

I don't consider this use of data from Kartverket as an import, but as
manual editing using an external source, comparable to using e.g. Bing as a
source. The main difference is that N50 as a source is more accurate and
faster to work with.

As Ramm mentioned the data sets from Kartverket are quite extensive. Parts
of it might be suitable for importing (like admin borders or names). But
that I think I will leave to those that actually (want to) do imports.