[Imports] presenting the case for open data to local government?

Daniel Joseph dan.b.joseph at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 00:24:13 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience conveying to local government all
the reasons for opening up data. The city where I grew up has a clunky "GIS
web portal" with which you can only view data. A neighboring city will
provide data but their data release form includes the following: "The data
is provided solely for the use of the requesting party and may not be made
available to anyone else."

I want to put together a succinct and well-documented argument that I can
send along to a city council member/ mayor/ city manager/ etc.

Anything you're willing to pass along (comments, suggestions, something
you've written up, research, etc) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan