[Imports] Wrapping up US NPS Import of Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Upload on Friday the 13th!

Thomas Colson thomas_colson at nps.gov
Wed Sep 4 15:42:27 UTC 2013

At the Import-US meeting we attended this week, some final technical issues
were resolved/discussed regarding the long-awaited NPS import of Great Smoky
Mountains National Park. It is our intent to "push the button" on this
import sometime around Friday the 13th of September. Obviously, by picking
such a date, nothing will go wrong.

We hope that the community can offer some meaningful and constructive final
feedback on this park-wide OSM contribution. Several other parks, as well as
OSM Mappers, are eager to begin the same process themselves.

A few details:

1.       A conflict check was run just before this was uploaded. Conflicts
within the park jurisdiction were corrected;

2.       A validation was run just before this was uploaded. Errors (most)
were deal with, there remain some warnings;

3.       Bridges/tunnels are/were not included in this edit. That will be a
next step, we're waiting the results of our last bridge inventory, as we
want to include max weight with the edits;

4.       This includes the new "ranger_station" tag;

5.       Streams/NHD are not included in this import, nor do we have plans
to incorporate local-resolution NHD into the OSM database

6.       Nps:verified has been replaced with Source:NPS

The file can be downloaded from
https://irma.nps.gov/App/Reference/Profile?code=2202706 or searching for
2202706 at https://irma.nps.gov/App/Portal