[Imports] [Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Sep 8 03:54:46 UTC 2013

To recap and hopefully move forwards, I'm bringing this up again.

To summarize the discussion

- Several people objected to the removal of gnis:feature_id, and it's
  removal was never proposed.

- There was objection to this changing the last edited user, which it
  wouldn't, it only removes tags when a user is editing the object
  anyways.

> In addition, I suggest that we remove two other tags conditionally.
>
> I suggest we remove the "ele" tag unless the tag natural=peak is present
> and that we remove "source" if the value for that tag is "USGS Geonames"
> (which is just GNIS).

- Other cases where ele is useful were pointed out (aeroway)

Given that we don't currently have the technical ability to do this while
adding to the discarded tag list is easy, I suggest we put this on hold
until later. We need to have a better look at what GNIS data has an ele=*
tag and where it is silly.

Unless there are serious objections I plan to open a pull request adding
listed tags to the discard list.

To reiterate, this does NOT impact gnis:feature_id and the tags will ONLY
be removed if someone is already editing the object.