[Imports] NYC building and address import

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 21:51:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Vaidila Satvika <vaidila at gmail.com> wrote:

> That would take a very very long time. There are something like 65,000
> streets in NYC broken up into many more segments. Perhaps we could import
> just the one-way streets?

The problem is that there are already streets in OSM. Someone would have to
write code that matches the NYC data with the OSM data and applies the
oneway tag as needed. This is tricky, but it gets even trickier because the
line segments in the two datasets are of different lengths and may need to
be broken if an OSM way is longer than a NYC data road.

If you have the time and knowledge to write this code, lots of people would
be happy.

In the meantime, we had the same problem in Chicago. I used TileMill to
render a layer that showed arrows pointing in the direction of the oneway
streets, used it as an overlay in JOSM, and fixed the roads by hand. I got
the majority of the problems in a week or so and Chicago has more roads
than NYC.