[Imports] [Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Sep 11 08:04:14 UTC 2013

From: Bryce Nesbitt [mailto:bryce2 at obviously.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Imports] [Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

> As the discard list gets bigger, I think there are some ways the list
> could be better. My main discomfort is the notion that we want humans to
> review the tag list, yet the editors don't quite do that.

The list of tags discarded? That's reviewed by humans.

Most users are using editors which by default will not show unknown
tags, so it's wrong to say that we want humans spending time reviewing
the existing TIGER tags on objects.

> I'll look into creating a patch for JOSM that would at least warn an
> editor working on a node that some of the tags are about to disappear

Yet another warning probably isn't a good idea. Maybe if the tags are
hidden or removed at a different stage it would improve the experience.