[Imports] [Talk-us] GNIS tag removal proposal

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Sep 11 20:27:03 UTC 2013

I suspect we're going to want to run a number of mechanical edits on
the GNIS data to clean it up, which to me is the biggest reason not to
do a mechanical edit solely to remove tags at this time.

At the same time, we know we can reduce the number of discardable tags
by having them automatically dropped, and can be quite effective.

Once we have done fixup on the import we can take a look at if it's worth
it to go and remove the remaining discardable tags with a mechanical edit.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think it's premature to discuss
because many of the objects will of lost their discardable tags by then.