[Imports] Add to discard ist : more tiger tags

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Sep 12 21:05:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

>   It's supposed to be useful when the zip code differs from one side of
> the road to the other.   It gets crazy when used on winding roads.

Zip codes are crazy and fluid, that's a whole different ball of wax.
The geometry tags in tiger are problematic.  Do we want geometry on objects
that are themselves embedded in a database of geometry?  How would that
ever stay in sync?

   I personally find tiger:county to be useful when landing somewhere
> random from a note or link and want to do more research against current
> TIGER data for that county.  There are probably other tools for that, but I
> haven't had to track them down yet.

I find it useful for the same thing, but only because of a lack of a really
good "*where am I*" button in the editors,
which would list all political and cultural divisions, e.g.:

 (e.g. you're near neighborhood *Gourmet Ghetto*, in *Berkeley*, in *Alameda
County*, in *California*, in *USA*, in *North America*, under NATO, part of
NAFTA, member of the *United Nations*, on *Planet Earth*).