[Imports] TIGER name expansion (was GNIS tags)

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 11:11:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 13 September 2013 02:17, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Andrew Buck <andrew.r.buck at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's need to go over all the ways, not just the TIGER ways. There's
> also need for another run of the TIGER expansion bot because people
> were very concerned about the "Saint, St" issue, which had been messed
> up in a previous expansion effort in the West Coast.
>
> Basically, the bot there incorrectly expanded "St" in reference to
> Saint to Street. While I had an algorithm which could have handled
> this, the community concern was so high that I left it out of the
> final version, and left these ways untouched.

Can you point to an example of such incorrect expansion by the earlier
bot?  There isn't really an ambiguity between Saint and Street because
one is a prefix and the other a suffix.

There is an ambiguity though between Saint and State for example,
which is why most of those cases were reviewed individually.

Best regards