[Imports] TIGER name expansion (was GNIS tags)

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 12:58:15 UTC 2013

Hi Richard,

On 13 September 2013 14:38, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 9/13/13 6:11 AM, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>> Can you point to an example of such incorrect expansion by the earlier
>> bot?  There isn't really an ambiguity between Saint and Street because
>> one is a prefix and the other a suffix.
>>
> another error of the west coast bot that has gone unmentioned here had
> to do with single letter street names. the example i encountered was in
> Nevada, Iowa, where the bot had incorrectly expanded E St to East Street,
> N St to North Street, and so forth.

Yes, but that seems unrelated to the problem Serge talks about.  I
have seen examples of this, many were also pointed out in talk-us
discussions.  The error in the code was fixed as the bot was going
east and I later generated lists of possible errors for the west coast
states and fixed them manually, but iirc I later found I had missed at
least Iowa and Kansas.

Best regards