[Imports] Introducing OSMLY

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 12:08:13 UTC 2013

Aaron,

I have a number of thoughts about your tool.

First, the good:

This is great. It is very similar to the work Martijn and I have done
with MapRoulette. MapRoulette can essentially do what this tool does,
so there wasn't really a need for yet another tool. In fact, my only
complaint is that I wish you had decided to help us work on
MapRoulette and include more features, rather than go off and make yet
another tool in a very fragmented community. Nonetheless, this is very
nice.

The concern:

My concern is less about the tool than the technique. Just because a
user has a tool to assist them does not mean that the import can
bypass the normal community process. While this isn't directly related
to the software (and we never want to blame tools for how they're
used), I still worry about imports happening without due diligence.

Overall, I'm glad this exists, though I'd be much happier if you
helped us with MR, which can do this and more. :)

- Serge