[Imports] "fleet manager" speed limit import proposal (Canada, USA)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Apr 3 14:32:16 UTC 2014

Dear Imports@,

Prerequisites
1. I am familiar with editing in OpenStreetMap and have mapped my
neighbourhood.  :-)
2. I am familiar with the history of imports in OpenStreetMap and
concerns regarding them.
3. What is the data proposed for discussion (and if approved, for
'import' of some nature)

The data is posted speed limit data.  Data is reported by fleet
managers, those responsible for a group of company vehicles.  The
fleet manager, in discussion with an individual driver, submits a
report of a posted speed limit.

That data is made available to us, as an OSM way id, and a posted
speed limit in km/h.  (MPH speed limits are presented in km/h and so
they will need to be converted for local use.)

One example from the data is http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/42850355

The data provides osm way id: 42850355, and speed limit: 50

What is it this data?:
The drivers and fleet manager report a posted speed limit where:
- the posted speed limit does not match the maxspeed in OpenStreetMap data.
- the posted speed limit does not match their presumption of the speed
limit based on OpenStreetMap data.  (I think they presume a speed
limit based on highway=* or other tags where there is no maxspeed=
tag.  )

Extent:
Current data is provided by fleet vehicles in Canada and USA.  I do
not know if it will extend beyond Canada and USA.

Updates:
The data is reported by the fleet manager based on discussions with
individual drivers.  This isn't exactly "real time" but it is ongoing.
 So data will be published every day or week or month or something to
be determined.  Data amount will track along with fleet size, I
imagine.

Anonymity:
Data is anonymized, but traceable by the fleet manager.  The fleet
manager knows from which driver a report originates.  We don't get
that information.  The fleet manager also has a timestamp that we
don't get.  It should be possible to determine a specific source is
consistently unreliable for some reason.

Errors:
Errors are possible.  Incorrect data might be reported by mistake or
by typographic error.  Data may not match completely when reported,
for example, the user may report maxspeed for one way_id, where the
maxspeed should correctly apply only to a portion of that way (and it
should be split).

Tampering / gaming:
Deliberately false information could be published.  The fleet manager
and driver get a report when a fleet vehicle is "speeding".  This
might be a telptation to report a too-high posted limit to allow their
vehicles to travel faster without generating these "speeding"
warnings.  Counter to this, the driver and fleet manager are penalized
for getting speeding tickets from the police, in the form of fines,
and increased insurance premiums.  It is expected that the overall
motivation of the driver and fleet manager is to get the data correct.
 The fleet manager has a commercial incentive to get the data right
and not to game the system one way or the other.

Community buy-in
That's this discussion thread, in part.  :-)  Is this maxspeed data
interesting?  Does it seem suitable, all else being equal?  Questions
and discussion welcome.

Documentation
1. The data is currently unpublished.  I have verbal permission to
include the data in OpenStreetMap.  The publisher (fleet manager) owns
the original data.  The original data is uncontaminated by outside
sources.  ToDo: publish transparently with license / statement.

Best Regards and Happy Mapping,

Richard